Peruvian Maca has become increasingly popular over the years because of its many beneficial properties for men’s health.
But what exactly are the benefits associated with the consumption of this Andean root? And how can it affect testosterone levels?
Let’s find out together in this article.
What is Peruvian Maca
Peruvian Maca (Lepidium meyenii) is a plant native to the Peruvian Andes, where it grows at high altitudes. Its root has been used for centuries by local people as a source of food and for its medicinal properties. Maca comes in several varieties, each of which has specific characteristics.
The properties of Peruvian Maca can be summarized as:
- Adaptogen: helps the body resist physical and mental stress
- Nutritious: rich in essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids
- Energizing: increases physical stamina and mental concentration
Men’s sexual health
Peruvian maca is particularly valued for its effects on men’s sexual health. In fact, numerous studies have shown that this root can help improve erectile function, increase libido, and improve sperm quality. In particular, among the benefits associated with the consumption of Maca we can mention:
- Increased libido
- Improved erectile function
- Increased fertility
- Reduction of symptoms of erectile dysfunction
Peruvian Maca has a long history of use in Andean cultures, dating back more than 2,000 years: local people consumed it both as a food and as a natural remedy for various medical conditions.
Over the centuries, Maca’s fame has gradually spread throughout the world, making it one of the best-known and most valued medicinal plants, going from its discovery by Spanish conquistadores in the 16th century, to its use in traditional Andean medicine for fertility and virility, to its spread to Europe and the rest of the world beginning in the 18th century.
Maca and testosterone
Another interesting aspect of Peruvian Maca concerns its effect on testosterone levels.
Although scientific research has not yet confirmed a direct link between Maca consumption and increased testosterone, several studies suggest that this root may positively influence the production of sex hormones, including testosterone.
Benefits of maca consumption for testosterone may include:
- Regulation of hormone balance
- Increased muscle strength and lean mass
- Reduction of fatigue
Usage and dosages
Peruvian Maca can be taken in several forms, including powder, capsules, and liquid extracts.
Recommended doses of Maca may vary depending on the form and concentration of the product, but in general it is recommended:
- Start with a low dose (about 1.5-3 grams per day) and gradually increase if necessary
- Take Maca with meals to facilitate absorption
- Follow a cycle of intake, such as 4 weeks of use, followed by 1 week off
Let us now see what are some of the most common questions on this topic:
- Does maca have any side effects?
Maca is generally considered safe for most people, but it can cause side effects in some cases, such as gastrointestinal upset or increased heart rate. It is important to consult with a physician before beginning intake, especially if you are taking medication or have a pre-existing medical condition.
- Can I take Maca together with other supplements or medications?
Maca may interact with some medications, especially those that affect the hormonal system. It is important to consult a doctor before taking Maca if you are taking other supplements or medications.
- How long does it take to see results from taking Maca?
The results of taking Maca may vary from person to person and depend on the dose, form, and duration of intake. In general, you may begin to notice improvements in libido and erectile function after a few weeks of regular intake.
- Can women take maca?
Yes, Maca is also beneficial for women, as it can help improve libido, fertility, and hormonal balance. However, it is important to consult a doctor before starting to take it, especially if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Can maca be used as a natural aphrodisiac?
Yes, Maca is often considered a natural aphrodisiac due to its effects on libido and erectile function. However, it is important to remember that Maca is not a substitute for medical treatment for severe or persistent sexual problems.
For more scientific insights, here is a (partial) bibliography of articles, studies and research:
- Gonzales, G. F., Córdova, A., Vega, K., Chung, A., Villena, A., Góñez, C., & Castillo, S. (2002). Effect of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) on sexual desire and its absent relationship with serum testosterone levels in adult healthy men. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 82(2-3), 211-215. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12472620/
- Zenico, T., Cicero, A. F., Valmorri, L., Mercuriali, M., & Bercovich, E. (2009). Subjective effects of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) extract on well-being and sexual performance in patients with mild erectile dysfunction: a randomized, double-blind clinical trial. Andrology, 41(2), 95-99. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19260845/
- Brooks, N. A., Wilcox, G., Walker, K. Z., Ashton, J. F., Cox, M. B., & Stojanovska, L. (2008). Beneficial effects of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) on psychological symptoms and measures of sexual dysfunction in postmenopausal women are not related to estrogen or androgen content. Menopause, 15(6), 1157-1162. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18784609/
- Gonzales, G. F., Gasco, M., & Malheiros-Pereira, A. (2018). Maca (Lepidium meyenii) and yacon (Smallanthus sonchifolius) in combination with sacha inchi (Plukenetia volubilis) improve serum lipid profile and increase platelet aggregation time in rats. Food Research International, 105, 277-285. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29433207/
- Rubio, J., Caldas, M., Dávila, S., Gasco, M., & Gonzales, G. F. (2006). Effect of three different cultivars of Lepidium meyenii (Maca) on learning and depression in ovariectomized mice. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 6(1), 23. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16796734/
In conclusion, Peruvian Maca offers numerous health benefits for men, including improved sexual function, increased libido, and possible regulation of testosterone levels. It can be used as a natural supplement to promote general well-being and vitality.
Products you might be interested in
If you are interested in purchasing Ribovita MACA product, please visit our online store.